All about the registration of professional vehicles in Europe

B2B vehicles circulating on European soil must comply with registration and insurance regulations. Both self-employed workers and employees with a company vehicle must be able to present their secure documents in the event of a roadside check. The vehicle registration certificate, driver’s license and insurance will be the first elements checked by the state authorities. To be able to drive serenely and carry out its professional activity, the professional vehicle must be registered and insured according to European ground traffic standards. The European Commission, through its implementing regulations, establishes the rules concerning the circulation of company vehicles and the procedures relating to their compliance. Registration and contracted insurance then become a priority for the various company vehicles.

The registration of a company vehicle circulating on European soil.

Company cars or commercial vehicles must imperatively be registered in the country where the company is established. The company that owns the various vehicles must take the steps to register its assets before any use. In the case of a roadside check, whatever country you are in, European Commission regulations apply. The driver must be able to present the vehicle registration document and the work certificate proving his professional activities. For professional vehicles in compliance, owner companies have several options to carry out the administrative procedures relating to registration. In fact, since 2017, applications for registration are completely dematerialized. Several approved sites such as the National Agency for Secure Titles, platforms specializing in vehicle registration or even an approved professional can issue the registration certificate. All utility vehicles dedicated to business travel are concerned. Van, heavy goods vehicle, truck… must be registered in the name of the company. In order to be able to use European roads in full compliance, drivers must be able to present a valid driving licence, registration certificate and insurance.

Car insurance and its validity in the EU.

The insurance policy is an obligation in the event of a registration process. In the case of a company vehicle circulating freely on European roads, it will be necessary to subscribe to liability insurance to be in compliance. This compulsory insurance covering damage in the event of an accident is admissible in all EU countries. This car insurance does not cover certain costs due to an accident. The costs of repairing the vehicle, for example, will not be covered in this event. To mitigate these cost risks, Belgium provides insurance in the form of a formula perfectly suited to professionals. Indeed, as a member of the Corona Direct team specializing in car insurance explains: “Civil liability does not cover all damages. For legal protection and repair of your vehicle, more complete formulas can guarantee you greater peace of mind on the roads”. In Belgium, for example, there are car insurers who offer three insurance formulas for B2B vehicles circulating throughout Europe.

  • The RC Professional Vehicle.
  • The Petite Omnium formula.
  • The Grande Omnium formula.

The Professional Vehicle RC is, for example, the minimum mandatory formula in Belgium. This civil liability ensures the coverage of damage caused to a third party. For more guarantees, it will be necessary to add to this RC a Small Omnium formula which plans to take charge of the damage that the B2B vehicle could suffer. Or the Grande Omnium version which gives very complete coverage. The European Commission does not establish fixed rules on supplementary insurance. Companies must therefore approach specialized insurers in order to take out the best possible cover for all their drivers.

(Photo credit: iStock)

Article written by


This text is published under the responsibility of its author. Its content does not in any way engage the editorial staff of Les Echos Solutions.

Leave a Comment