How much is the amount of the birth bonus?
Also called birth packagethe birth bonus of your mutual is a financial aid granted following the arrival of your newborn baby.
If each insurance company sets the amount of this device according to its conditions, this small financial boost will generally from 100€ to 400€. Unlike the CAF birth bonus, it is granted without means testing.
- The birth package is not systematic with all insurance companies and is sometimes only applied from a certain level of guarantee.
Be aware, however, that most traditional companies offer the birth bonus and that some offer the same service. in the context of an adoption.
Also, it may be wise to change mutual health insurance now and compare market offers to find the ideal contract for your needs as well as those of your future child.
How to obtain the mutual birth bonus?
To be able to benefit from the birth bonus of your mutual health insurance, be sure to check with your insurance company before the beginning of the 7th month of pregnancy.
- After the birth of your child or his adoption, it is your responsibility to send your organization a birth certificate or a copy of the family record book to certify your filiation.
- This is the appropriate time to request the granting of the birth package but also the linking your child to your complementary health insurance.
In any case, the birth bonus will not be paid to you before the arrival of your child.
Indeed, this boost is generally awarded when your baby is attached to your mutual insurance contract.
Please note: the birth bonus is usually not paid if you take in your child during the waiting period, which generally amounts to 30-60 days.
Can it be combined with the CAF birth bonus?
Good news: the birth bonus from the health insurance fund can be combined with the birth grant from the Family Allowance Fund (Paje).
However, the payment of this financial aid is subject to means testing: for example, a couple with two sources of income and 1 child (born or unborn) within the household must not exceed €42,978. The birth bonus is only paid once, in the 7th month of pregnancy, for a amount of €1003.95.
To qualify, you must meet the following criteria:
- Fulfill the terms and conditions to receive family benefits;
- Have declared your pregnancy within the first 14 weeks at your CAF and your primary health insurance fund (CPAM);
- Have resources not exceeding the ceilings in force corresponding to your situation (to be consulted on the website of your CAF).
Can we combine two birth bonuses from 2 mutuals?
Since 2016, employees in the private sector have been required to join their company’s mutual insurance company.
Therefore, some couples have two mutuals : one for each spouse. If this is your case, your company mutuals may impose the compulsory attachment of children.
If you wish to affiliate your newborn to your two respective contracts, then the dual affiliation entitles you to accumulation of the two birth packages.
To find out more about your rights, consult your employer.
Which mutuals offer a birth bonus?
April, CNM Prévoyance Santé, Apivia and Selfassurance include the payment of a birth grant in their contract, but it depends on the range and level of cover taken out.
Admittedly, the birth bonus is an important aid when your future child arrives, but it should not be a priority criterion for choose your family mutual.
Indeed, it is rather a question of considering the health coverage necessary to take charge of the medical expenses related to pregnancy and childbirth. Maternity mutual insurance can cover follow-up visits and hospitalization costs (daily flat rate, single room, etc.).
Arrival of a child: how to choose your mutual health insurance?
At the birth or arrival of your child, in addition to the granting of a birth bonus, it is better to opt for full care coverage, with solid and appropriate guarantees.
To do this, it is a question of paying attention to the following criteria:
- Level of reimbursement of benefits: hospitalization, consultations with general practitioners and specialists, practitioners in alternative medicine and pharmacy.
- Fee reimbursement level: these can be high, especially if you consult specialists.
- Third-party payment : choosing a mutual that practices third-party payment allows you not to have to advance the part of your health costs that it supports.
- Extended Assistance Warranty Coverage : because it can be useful to benefit from a household help for example.
- Reimbursement deadline
- Waiting period after subscription to the mutual fund: this is the period during which you are not entitled to reimbursement of your health expenses.
Finally, keep in mind that it is sometimes wiser to give up an insurance contract offering a birth premium with weak guarantees and to favor a reliable complementary health insurance that really meets your needs.
Want to find a mutual health insurance offering a birth bonus? Our mutual insurance comparison tool is free: receive your personalized quotes in a few minutes.