What training to access the insurance professions?

1. High school training

In addition to welcoming students from the second to the final year, the school can also provide BTS, namely Higher Technician Certificates. This diploma is obtained in 2 years after the baccalaureate. The BTS is known to be professionalizing and focused on a specific field, making graduate students operational as soon as they leave.

BTS profiles are highly sought after in insurance to occupy sales positions, in particular. To work in insurance, the BTS Assurance is the most coveted and the most specialized. However, it is also possible to go for a BTS MUC (Management of Business Units) or a BTS NRC (Negotiation and Customer Relations).

2. University courses

The university offers more general training than the BTS, but still qualified to prepare for jobs in the banking and insurance sector. However, its training offer is wider since it extends from bac+2 to bac+5. Thus, you can integrate a technical DUT of marketing, a DUT Legal Careers or a DUT GEA (Business and Administration Management), all in 2 years after the baccalaureate.

Licenses are also provided, such as the professional license in banking and finance insurance, the professional license in the legal management of insurance contracts, among others.. Professional training in insurance, such as these pro licenses allow the student to combine theoretical learning of insurance professions with practice. The student is required to be in the field very regularly, in direct contact with the profession for which he continues to receive general lessons. We also talk about work-study training.

The professional license is very popular with recruiters because students hold a bac+3 and have at the same time acquired very rewarding professional experience.

At bac+5, the university again offers many courses, which are more specialised: Master’s in Insurance and Financial Analysis, Master’s in Wealth Management, Master’s in Commercial Careers in Banking and Insurance… However, if you wish to follow a more general training, whether you doubt your path or simply want to keep considering all the potential opportunities, university is also the right place. Training in AES (Economic and Social Administration), economics or law are potential choices.

3. School training

Private schools also offer training allowing access to insurance professions from bac+2 to bac+5. They offer BTS, bachelor’s, professional licenses and Master’s or MBA. You can join a school specializing in banking insurance, like following the course of business schools. Thus, the choice is quite wide: ESA (Higher School of Insurance), IFPASS (Training Institute for Insurance Professionals, ENASS (National School of Insurance), and business schools such as ISG, INSEEC, ISCP…

It should be noted that the education provided in a private school is, without exception, more expensive than that of the university. One of the ways to make your training less expensive is to follow it alternately: your host company generally covers a good part of the annual registration fees of your school, if not all of it. Plus, you get paid.

The prices of a school in the insurance vary between 1,000 and 9,000 € per year, the price increasing with the level of exit of the diploma: as an indication, the bac+5 costs approximately 8,000 € / 9,000 € for cheaper schools.

4. Distance learning

Distance learning courses have been created in particular for working people, salaried or not, who want to return to the benches of school, in order to be able to evolve or reorient themselves. Thus, appropriate training is provided remotely by training centers, private schools and sometimes even by the university. The interest of these remote insurance training courses is to obtain a diploma or a certificate via a course allowing you to adjust your schedule, work at your own pace, train while remaining in your company, etc.

Learning is mainly done by correspondence (in e-learning), but there may be group sessions at the center or at the school that trains you. The rhythm and the organization of the training depends on the establishment in which you follow it. For example, you can go through the CNAM, ESA, IFPASS and CNED, among others.


Leave a Comment